Friday, March 6, 2009

3/6/09 Virginia Blizzard, Variety Show Buzzing, Railroad Run Blitz


I am writing this March first, as we watch this snow that won't seem to stop falling. We went walking in it last night and woke to see it still falling this morning. What a wonderful gift this is for the children of Ashland. Not a snow day of sleet and freezing rain, but a snow day with piles of snow- snowmen, icicles, and sledding. A snow day of knocking off snow from the bushes, of throwing snowballs at your friends, and the hum of a dryer constantly running.


The Variety Show is fast approaching: rehearsals are humming, costumes are being assembled, and the gossip is that this year's show will be unforgettable! Performances are March 19, 20, and 21 at 7:30 pm each night at R-MC's Blackwell Auditorium. You need to reserve your tickets right away as they always sell out. Reserved seating is available by calling 798-2881, and general admission tickets are available at Cross Brothers and the Arts and Activities Center.

And I'll just say that I hope Newt Gingrich is a fantastic speaker and has some enlightening revelations to deliver when he speaks at Randolph-Macon tonight, March 5th. Because, even though he is a celebrity, he has disrupted Variety Show practice.

Happy Birthday to Tom Grant who celebrated this past Saturday by going on a brisk, 20 mile jog around Ashland with friends.

The Reihl family will have a fun time this weekend celebrating two birthdays- Meade turned 12 on the 5th, and Alec will be 15 on the 8th. Happy Birthday to both!

The 7th Annual Pamunkey Regional Library Poetry Contest runs from March 2 through the 28th. There are categories for all age levels- kindergarten through adult. Forms can be picked up at the library beginning Monday, and must be returned by the 28th. For more information, stop by and chat with your friendly, neighborhood librarian. C'mon, I know that there are many poets living here in the Center of the Universe- show your talent!

Bring your kiddies in their PJs to the library on Friday, March 6th at 6:30 pm to celebrate Dr Seuss’ birthday! They’ll get to see a movie about a very open-hearted elephant, and have refreshments courtesy of the Henry Clay Woman's Club.

Register now for the Ashland Railroad Run 10K and 5K Fun Walk to be held on Saturday, April 4th. A fun addition to this year’s race will be a Green Fair with lots of vendors showing examples of green, or environmentally-friendly ideas and products. You can register on-line through the Arts & Activities website: http://www.hanoverarts.com/. Registration forms can also be found at the Center, 500 S. Center St. Call 798-2728 with any questions.





And goodnight to my Great-Aunt Susie, who, after 92 years has left a gaping hole in the lives of so many people. Who will I call to find out family gossip? Who will remind me of birthdays, and where will I find Stayman apples if I don't get them from her tree? Half the flowers in my yard are her transplants, and everywhere I turn I see something that she gave me. Her funeral will be at Menokin Baptist in Warsaw, and I will not know all those cousins because she will not be there to tell me who they are. The world has a little less common sense and laughter than it did before, and the thread that held so many of us together has come apart.

Sorry to end on a sad note. I'll be better next week. Call or email me with your Ashland news or stories: 310-5320, ashlandnews@gmail.com.

No comments:

It's a shame we didn't get any snow this winter...

Especially since we're building this new town ski lodge.  I mean, I guess it could potentially bring in tourism dollars, if we ...