Friday, March 5, 2010

3/4/10 Finding What You're Looking For and Heros all Around Us






I almost ran off and joined the Coast Guard this week. Why the Coast Guard, you ask? Why not the circus? I have never been as sure of anything as I am that I could free-fall out of a helicopter into a hurricane to rescue boaters. I just know I could. I have dreamed about it for years, confident that I missed my calling, and last week I called the recruiter to tell them that I was ready. My father said that I obviously had too much free time on my hands.

I didn't leave because an old friend suggested that I look in my backyard to cure my longing. Will I ever learn? How many times does this lesson have to hit me over the head before I drive my family & friends crazy? Can I not be content to find a way to make this piece of the world a little better? Do I have to solve big, glamorous problems like sinking ships, hurricanes and floods? Can I not find satisfaction in our Ashland problems? Can I not be content to help find a coat for a child or help raise money for our old Arts & Activities Center?

In Thornton Wilder's play, "Our Town", a main character asks, "Do any human beings ever realize life while they're in it?--every, every minute?" No Emily, they do not. Even though I tell people all the time to appreciate this sweet town that we have, I do not take my own advice.
Look at these wonderful celebrations all around us!

Peyton Luck, son of Ross & Corinne Luck of Lower Ashland, received the highest Cub Scout award this past weekend: the Arrow of Light Award, and is now off to join Boy Scout Troop #700 in Ashland. He'll be an Eagle Scout before we know it.







The performance of "We Were There: History through the Arts" has been rescheduled to March 26th & 27th at 7 p.m. at the Blackwell Auditorium on the campus of Randolph-Macon College. Come to this FREE event and enjoy the stories and songs of Ashland & Hanover County residents.For more information contact The Hanover Arts and Activities Center at (804) 798-2728. http://www.hanoverarts.org/.

One of my favorite movies is coming to our local Firehouse Theater this Saturday! "Singing in the Rain" will be shown at 7:30pm. Tickets are $6 for the shows, and there is popcorn, candy, and drinks available at the concession stand. It is simply wonderful to have a movie theater that you can walk to.

Happy 4th Birthday to Katie Thompson of Beaverdam on March 9th! Shine on Katie! I hope your birthday is the best day ever.

This praise is a little over-due, but our Ashland Police Department has some dedicated officers. Back in January, Sergeant Hicks, Officer Bonistalli and Officer Gray responded to a house fire on Henry Clay Road, and before the fire department could get there they had used their own fire extinguishers to keep the fire from spreading to the rest of the house. They also located a person trapped on the second floor and were able to direct the fire fighters who immediately rescued the gentleman who was alive and ok. See? In our own backyards, Ashland.

I really don't know how I forgot- maybe it was this long winter that we've had. Our happy existence is here. Sometimes we stand too close and let the everyday trials cloud our vision. We are all meant to be here, at the Center, we are all here for a reason. Find something to celebrate this weekend. Be content.

Call or email me with your Ashland news: 310-5320, ashlandnews@gmail.com. Have a beautiful week.

No comments:

It's a shame we didn't get any snow this winter...

Especially since we're building this new town ski lodge.  I mean, I guess it could potentially bring in tourism dollars, if we ...