Thursday, May 13, 2010

5/6/10 Operator, I'd like to place a long distance call...

(Please note- I never saw this view. The clouds hid the mountains all week.)
I am writing this column from a hotel room on the shores of the Eibsee Lake in Grainau, Germany. We are down in the southern area of Bavaria with the Alps all around us. It's a really gorgeous area, very lovely with green pastures and flowers blooming everywhere. Travelling is fun, but by the time you read this, I will be ready to return to my COTU. Not only do I miss all my Ashlanders, but I'd love a big glass of ice water. When you ask for water, they bring you a tiny juice glass with mineral water. But that's my only complaint! The Germans are very friendly & kind, and the food is wonderful.

Happy Birthday to little Meriwether Gilmore, our sunshine, who will turn four on Saturday, May 8th!

The Firehouse movie theater has two great treats for us this Saturday. At 3pm, they'll show the classic "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" staring Gene Wilder. Tickets are $5 and 10% of the proceeds will go towards the Hanover Arts and Activities Center Children's Theater Camp, which will be producing their own Willy Wonka later in the summer!

Then later in the evening, we get to watch "Guys and Dolls" with Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando at 7:30pm. This is just a wonderful movie with great songs! My favorite is the one that says, "Sit down, you're rocking the boat!" Tickets for adults are $6, but are half-price for kids. This is really a great movie for kids- they'll love the singing and dancing.

The Central Virginia Masterworks Chorale will present two performances of its 2010 spring concert featuring Mozart’s Coronation Mass and Randall Thompson’s Frostiana: Seven Country Songs. The first performance will be Thursday, May 13, 7:00 pm, at Duncan Memorial United Methodist Church, in Ashland, and the second will be Sunday, May 16, 7:00 pm, at Grace Baptist Church, 4200 Dover Road, in Richmond. Tickets are $15 for adults and $5 for students, and may be purchased in advance at Cross Brothers’ Grocery or from any Chorale member, and may also be purchased at the door prior to each performance. To reserve tickets, call 804-798-3283.
The Farmer's Market is open and running for the season every Saturday from 9 to noon behind Town Hall. Stop by for some wonderful local vegetables, lovely flowers, and beautiful native plants.

My deadline is too early to comment on the Town Council elections, but I hope that all of you town residents got out and voted!

I'll be a bit brief this week since it's kind of hard to report on Ashland News from the other side of the world; difficult but not impossible! Call or email me with your Ashland stories and news: 310-5320, ashlandnews@gmail.com. Have a wonderful week!


No comments:

It's a shame we didn't get any snow this winter...

Especially since we're building this new town ski lodge.  I mean, I guess it could potentially bring in tourism dollars, if we ...