Tuesday, September 20, 2011

9/1/11 Picking Ourselves Up and Dusting Off...




I don’t know where to start. Since the last time we’ve talked, there have been earthquakes and a hurricane, and I’m wondering if I shouldn’t have bad-mouthed the month of August.


I give my condolences to everyone who is still without power, who lost a beautiful old tree, or who had an old tree fall on top of something. We’ve noticed that most trees seemed to have been blow down by a wind from the north, and there are big patches of sunlight where there used to be shade.


The earthquake was another matter entirely, and I am surprised to find myself startled at any little rattle or rumble that I mistake for another quake. I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of Ashlanders are sleep-deprived these days; there has been a lot to worry about the past week.


Congratulations to all the soggy runners who finished the Patrick Henry Half Marathon just before Irene arrived! And a big thanks to all the volunteers who stood out in the rain all morning to help. I’ve heard good things about the new course.


If you were inspired by those dedicated runners, sign up now for the 2011 Henry Clay & Gandy Tiger Trot to be held on Saturday, October 15 th. The kid's races begin at 8:00am and the 5K begins at 9:00am at Henry Clay Elementary, and you can register online at http://www.raceit.com/ or pick up a registration form at either school.


Mark your calendar now for the 40th Annual Ashland Kiwanis Club Barbecue on Saturday, Sept. 17th from 4-7pm. Legend has it that the BBQ recipe is top secret, and is better than anything you’ve ever had before. There will be live music, a classic car show, and lots of fun door prizes. This is a major fundraiser for the Kiwanis Club which is such a valuable community group. Tickets are available at Union First Market Bank branches in Ashland, Luck Chevrolet, Cross Brothers Grocery and from any Kiwanis member. You can also buy tickets at www.eventbrite.com/AshlandKiwanis. For more information, call McDaniel at (804) 627-1003 or email jmcdaniel@bbvirginia.com.


Call or email me with your Ashland news: 310-5320, ashlandnews@gmail.com. I hope your Labor Day Weekend is filled with lots of electric light and free-running water.



No comments:

It's a shame we didn't get any snow this winter...

Especially since we're building this new town ski lodge.  I mean, I guess it could potentially bring in tourism dollars, if we ...