Tuesday, October 4, 2011

10-06-11 Missing Playground, Tiger Trot, Harvest Run, Baby Finn








Ashland, you just don't know how fickle I am. You don't know how many times I've almost thrown in the towel, how many times that I've said: 'I just can't think of anything to write." Do you know how many times I've been teased for my over-use of the word "lucky?" Do you know how many times my father has fussed at me about all the exclamation points? Here I sit, a jaded Ashlander complaining about the trains & my hectic life, and then something like this happens.




The playground at Pufferbelly Park has disappeared. Not just a swing to be repaired, not a slide to be replaced, but the whole thing. It is gone, like it was never there in the first place. The citizens of Ashland are rather vigilant, and yet, not one person that I've spoken to witnessed the removal. Kellan Morris has some suspicions about an alien abduction, and until we hear otherwise, that's what we're going with. I have a jar of sweet pickles that I made this summer for the first person who tells me where it went.




It’s Family Movie Morning at the Ashland Library this Saturday, October 8th at 10:00am. Snacks will be provided! Dolly, the dog who wants to be read to, will be back at the Library on October 11th and the 25th at 7pm. Call the library with more information: 798-4072.




Happy birthday to Jill Voekler who celebrated her birthday this past Saturday at Maplewood in Elmont!




Now that the rains have gone, it’s a perfect time to get outside and walk or run around town. Sign up now for the 2011 Henry Clay & Gandy Tiger Trot to be held on Saturday, October 15th. The kids’ races begin at 8:00am & the 5K begins at 9:00am at Henry Clay Elementary. You can register online at http://www.raceit.com/ or pick up a registration form at either school. We are only a good town if we have good schools- help support them.




The Tiger Trot will be great training for the 8th Annual Ashland Harvest Run on Saturday, October 22, 2011. The 10 K race begins at 9:00, with the 5k following at 9:15. This year, the race proceeds will benefit Hanover Habitat for Humanity and Patrick Henry Family YMCA- two very important organizations. For more information, or to register for the race, please go to http://www.ashlandharvestrun.com/ or call 690-1259.




This past Sunday was a happy day on Center Street, for sweet baby Finn Robert Morris was baptized by Father Chris at St. Ann’s. Surrounded by his Ashland friends and family, Finn laughed and smiled, and we were reminded of what really matters in life. We look forward to watching Finn grow up, to see him become an Ashland kid and enjoy a COTU childhood.




Call or email me with your Ashland news: 310-5320, ashlandnews@gmail.com. Go solve that mystery- find that playground!



No comments:

It's a shame we didn't get any snow this winter...

Especially since we're building this new town ski lodge.  I mean, I guess it could potentially bring in tourism dollars, if we ...