Friday, November 23, 2007

10/19/07 Route One, Baby Rett, RMC Sports, Marion Watkins Hergert's book

I’ve been driving Rt. 1 more often these days, and I’ve been really surprised at the number of people running across the four-lane highway. Some of them are pushing baby carriages, pulling children along with them, or occasionally on a skateboard. It’s really alarming to see so many people trying to cross such a busy road, but I can understand their need to get across it: Rt. 1 divides housing communities from schools and grocery stores. I keep trying to think of a way to fix it, but I don’t have the mind of a town planner. I hope someone else will think of something- and soon.

On to some happy news…
Congratulations to Ross and Kristen Booth on the birth of their son, Michael Durrett Booth “Rett”. Welcome to Ashland, Rett! I’m sure that Grandmother Phyllis is delighted to have you here. Does she hold you all the time? Close to it, I bet.

Randolph Macon is having a Fall Festival for kids on Sunday, October 28th complete with a Halloween Carnival inside the Brock Center. This fun event is free and open to the public. Bring your little ghosts and goblins for lots of fun with the co-eds beginning at 5 p.m.

On Tuesday, October 30 at 7 p.m., Duncan Memorial Church will host a public forum for the Hanover County Board of Supervisor’s election. This is an excellent opportunity to learn more about the men and women who want to run this county.

Tomorrow, October 20th, the Ashland Harvest Run 10K will begin at Carter Park at 9 a.m. The 5K walk begins at 9:10 and both events follow a flat route through town. If you’re not running, please cheer them on if you’re near-by. This race benefits Hanover Safe Place and Ashland Christian Emergency Services (ACES). Call Becky Pollard with questions: (804) 798-9341

The Randolph-Macon Women’s Field Hockey Team will play Roanoke College this Saturday, October 20th at 3:00pm. These games are played on the fields on the western side of the tracks, behind the tennis courts. I played field hockey in school- it’s a great sport to watch and play.

Happy 10th anniversary to Carl and Cathy Sloppy on October 25th! What better way to celebrate than to have a baby- is Elizabeth Tinsley Sloppy here yet? Rett Booth needs someone to play with.

We were treated to a wonderful lunch this past Friday at the Herald- Progress’ new office across from the Hanover Airport. There were lots of old friends there and it was great to see the new offices. Thank you, Greg Glassner, for the copy of Marion Watkins Hergert’s little book, “The Watkins Years”. She moved to town from Chicago in the early 1930’s when her father bought the Herald-Progress. Mrs. Hergert grew up around the paper and eventually became the editor. I have feverously read it every night and thanks to her wonderfully descriptive words, I now have a detailed picture in my mind of life here some sixty years ago. I’m happy to report that some things have stayed the same. It was a busy place then, with lots of events and parties, and everyone loved to be on stage- as they still do these days with the Ashland Variety Show. We are still a community of attention-loving hams!

Call or email me with your Ashland news. My cell phone is 804-310-5320, and my email address is ashlandnews@gmail.com. Have a great week!

No comments:

It's a shame we didn't get any snow this winter...

Especially since we're building this new town ski lodge.  I mean, I guess it could potentially bring in tourism dollars, if we ...