Friday, November 23, 2007

11/02/07 Ashland Community Theater Foundation, RMC vs. HSC




A sizable crowd gathered this past Saturday night in a comfortable barn outside of town to watch a movie together. While everyone there was happy to view the classic film - “Arsenic and Old Lace”, the event was much more than a party. It was a chance for the emerging non-profit, The Ashland Community Theater Foundation, to bring its vision to the public. The ACT Board of Directors knows the void that we have endured since the screen went dark at our Ashland Theater. Being able to see a movie there, whether it was a second run or a classic film, gave us that sense of being in a special place. We all felt like children again in those seats- our laps full of popcorn and Hershey bars, our necks always turning around to see if any more of our friends had arrived yet, and the traditional round of applause at the end of the show. Sitting in that theater, it was easy for me to image that I was living in an Ashland of fifty years ago. Please cross your fingers and employ any good-luck charms that you have, and hope that the ACT is able to lease the theater and light up the marquee once again. Call 798-9721 for more information.

Happy Birthday to Renee Maier who turned four on October 31st.

Did you hear that the Elmont Fall Festival and Auction got rained out last weekend? It was postponed until this Saturday, November 3rd from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Make your way to L.A. a wonderful day full of children’s activities, good food, and wonderful items featured in a silent auction. There will be Brunswick stew, hot dogs, barbeque, and a bake sale. See if you’ve got the winning bid for theater tickets, historic home tours, professional and college event tickets- 150 different items. The Elmont PTA has out-done themselves, and this should be a wonderful event. In fact, I think you should go straight there as soon as you’re done at the Farmer’s Market in town. Elmont Elementary School is located at 12007 Cedar Lane in Lower Ashland.

Elizabeth Tinsley Sloppy arrived October 22, 2007, much to the delight of her big sister, Samantha, and her parents, Carl and Cathy. I hope that Elizabeth will have many wonderful memories of growing up here.

Happy birthday also to Maxwell Thompson who turned 6 on October 26th!

Mark you calendars for the November 10th Randolph Macon- Hampton Sydney Football Game. This will be the 113th game played between these old rivals. The game begins at 1:00 p.m. at home. Hampton-Sydney has lost two games- to Johns Hopkins and to Emory and Henry; both teams that Randolph-Macon beat soundly!

If you haven’t had a chance to see the new Plaza at the Library, then you’re missing one of the loveliest spots in town. The statue of Nina Peace has just been installed and the official dedication ceremony will be Saturday, November 10th at 4 p.m., which is just when Train Day concludes. I think you should just plan on being in downtown Ashland for the entire day on the 10th.

One of the best compliments I ever got was when Rebecca Cline thought that I was an Ashland native. Growing up in the Northern Neck, anyone was a “come-here” who had arrived after the Civil War, but I don’t mind wearing that label now if it means that I get to live here. I had a dream the other night that we had to move to Wilson, NC, where I’ve never been before, and in the dream I missed Ashland so much that I couldn’t stop sobbing. I hope I never have to move. Sometimes I worry about where they’ll bury me; should I stay in Ashland or go back to some family graveyard in Westmoreland County? Maybe I’ll just come back as a ghost and haunt the Arts and Activities Center!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween! Let me know any news, outstanding achievements, miraculous recoveries, or insight that you may have discovered about living here in the Center of the Universe. Call me at 310-5320, or email ashlandnews@gmail.com. Don’t forget to vote on Tuesday!

No comments:

It's a shame we didn't get any snow this winter...

Especially since we're building this new town ski lodge.  I mean, I guess it could potentially bring in tourism dollars, if we ...