Monday, September 14, 2009

9/10/09 Tiger Trot, RMC Students Return, Charlotte Home


Well Ashland, the summer of ’09 is behind us, but it certainly was a nice one, wasn’t it? The Three Sisters: Hazy, Hot, and Humid, didn’t come to visit until it was August and we were spared their love for most of the summer. I have to admit that I’ve grown accustomed to them over the years and would miss them if they ever went away for good.

I am looking forward to school starting, but I will miss the late evenings when bedtimes were non-existent. I will miss the giggling sleep-overs, and the shoes, clothing, towels that have turned up at our house: “Now who does this belong to?” I will miss the 8pm ice cream socials, and watching the kids play “Dibble” at the pool. But I’m not really sad about summer being over because it will be here again in a few months, and autumn is especially nice here in our Sweet Town.


Have you registered yet for the Tiger Trot 5K? You can register online at https://www.raceit.com/Register/?event=506 , and in fact, just go ahead and do that right now. September 19th will be a beautiful morning and what better way to spend it than either running through our pretty streets, or cheering on those runners. The kid’s races (1 mile and ½ mile) begin at 8am, and the 5K race begins at 9am. Come out to support the PTAs of Henry Clay and John M. Gandy Elementary! Email or call Tracy Brown if you have any questions: bob.and.tracy@verizon.net, 804-752-7762.



The fun thing about September 19th is how much is going on that day. You can run the Tiger Trot in the morning, visit the Farmer’s Market before noon, and then come out to dance behind the Library that evening at the last Street Party of the summer! That is almost a perfect Ashland day. The gates open at 6pm, and Ron Moody & the Centaurs will entertain us. Tickets are $5 in advance or $10 at the door, and are available at Cross Brothers, Ace Hardware, and Train Town, among other places.





Let’s welcome all the Randolph-Macon students back to town; we missed you! The campus is busy, and we’re lucky that so many of their events are open to the public. We caught a great football game this past weekend, even though Pedro’s boys lost. (I like those “Uncommon” shirts- can someone get me one of those? I’ll give you a prize.) The next home football game will be October 3rd against W&L. Visit http://www.rmc.edu/ to see the schedules for all the fall sports.



We are happy to report that little Charlotte Reynolds is back home in Ashland after weeks and weeks at the MD Anderson Clinic in Houston, Texas. I think Charlotte and her parents are incredible warriors, fighting that horrible cancer. I continue to be amazed at their perseverance and stamina, and I’d like to thank Roger and Rachel for writing about their struggle on the Caring Bridge website (www.caringbridge.org/visit/charlottereynolds). I’m sure I speak for most of Ashland when I say, if I knew any magic, I’d be casting spells left and right. Keep fighting. Keep going.





This Sunday, September 13th, Independence Christian Church of Ashland will have a gospel music concert featuring the popular Homeward Bound. The concert will begin at 7:00 p.m. and will be followed with an ice cream and cookie social. There is no charge and everyone is welcome. I had the pleasure of hearing their pastor, Rebecca Highfield, give the invocation at a Town Council meeting. She gave thanks for our summer heat- I liked that.





This time last year we were all busy with the 150 Celebration- do you remember that? Are you glad that this fall is not as busy, or do you miss singing “Happy Birthday” to Ashland every fifteen minutes? I do like a party, so I will miss all those festivities, but I think we have plenty to keep us laughing.





Oh, and speaking of that, have you noticed how much people laugh around here? I have a story to tell you about that, but I’ve run out of column space this week. Call or email me with your Ashland news: 310-5320, ashlandnews@gmail.com. Any hurricanes out there?

No comments:

It's a shame we didn't get any snow this winter...

Especially since we're building this new town ski lodge.  I mean, I guess it could potentially bring in tourism dollars, if we ...