Monday, September 14, 2009

9/17/09 September Whirlwind, JDRF Walk, Goodnight JR Radder


OK, September- I’ve got your number. You thought you could break me, didn’t you? You thought that you could make me dizzy with your endless calendar of events. You thought that you’d make me say “Uncle” with countless over-scheduled days. Well, Ha! The joke’s on you, Back-to-School Month! (Standing like Peter Pan) I can take anything you dish out.

Happy birthday to Daphne Gilmore who turned 9 on September 14th!

The Patrick Henry High School class of 1964 is having their reunion on Sept. 26. If you are a member of the class and have not gotten your information or have any questions please call Vaden Russell at 355-3679 .

The Tiger Trot 5K is this Saturday, and you still have time to sign up and run! Come see me at the registration table on the morning of the race and tell you’re running! September 19th will be a beautiful morning and what better way to spend it than either running through our pretty streets, or cheering on those runners. The kid’s races (1 mile and ½ mile) begin at 8am, and the 5K race begins at 9am. Come out to support the PTAs of Henry Clay and John M. Gandy Elementary! Email or call Tracy Brown if you have any questions: bob.and.tracy@verizon.net, 804-752-7762.
You have to come to the last Street Party of the summer! It just won’t be the same if you’re not there. Gates open at 6pm, and Ron Moody & the Centaurs will entertain us. Tickets are $5 in advance or $10 at the door, and are available at Cross Brothers, Ace Hardware, and Train Town, among other places.

Congratulations to everyone who ran in the Patrick Henry Half Marathon on August 29th! The weather was great this year, and there were more runners than ever. I wish I could have been out there with you- maybe next year- 8/28/10.

Once again, Ashland-Americans are showing their determination when faced with life’s challenges. On Sunday, September 20, Buddha & Jennifer Morris will be leading the largest family team of walkers in the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Walk at 2pm in Byrd Park. Both Morris kids, Kellan and Rosie, have this disease-without-a-cure, and they are joined this year by two other amazing kids: Adam Price and Anna Dykshorn. If you can come out and walk with them, they’d love your company. If you’d like to donate to the cause, please contact Buddha Morris at anthonymorris5@verizon.net.

I hate to end our conversation this week on a sad note, but we have lost another really important person. JR Radder was a son, a husband, a father, and a friend. He leaves behind his wife, Gayle Carter, and their son, Coleman, who is a fourth grader at John M. Gandy Elementary. I am at a loss to find something comforting to say, because it is so incredibly unfair. No one should lose their Dad when they’re just a kid.

So let me wipe my eyes and remember the good things. Remember this crazy life is extraordinary, in part- or mostly, because we are here together. I will never believe that it could be better someplace else. You will never convince me that it’s more fun in California, or Nantucket, because we are all exactly where we are supposed to be. Life is here, and just waiting for you to walk through that door tomorrow morning, or step across those tracks. I can ask for no greater gift than a lifetime in Ashland, with you. Fingers crossed.

You can reach me with your Ashland news at ashlandnews@gmail.com, or 310-5320. Have fun this weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock Meriwether! I love your writing. Please keep it up! You love Ashland almost as much as I do. :)

Meriwether Gilmore said...

Thanks Anonymous! Always nice to get a sweet comment. Leave your name next time and I'll give you a prize, like a jar of pickles maybe.

It's a shame we didn't get any snow this winter...

Especially since we're building this new town ski lodge.  I mean, I guess it could potentially bring in tourism dollars, if we ...