Monday, December 28, 2009

12/24/09 Merry Christmas


Wow. I used to think Ashland was pretty just on an ordinary day, but toss almost two feet of snow on our sweet town and you have a winter wonderland of epic proportions! Did you see those Christmas lights sparkle in the snow? Have you seen those bundled children bouncing through the drifts? I don't think I ever fully appreciated Christmas carols- they take on such a deeper meaning when you listen to them while watching the snow fall. It was perfect, this snow before Chrstmas. Thank you to whoever ordered this!

I am so sad that we've lost another important Ashlander. Nancy Witt left us this past week, and our creativity quotient immediately plummeted. I never met Nancy, but her painting fascinated me, and I could stare at them for hours. My condolences to her children and friends; I know you will all miss her dearly.

Having old movies at the new Firehouse Theater has added to our storybook atmosphere. If you lived in town, you could have walked to the movies this past Saturday night! Can you imagine that? Walking down a snowy street to see an old movie? Quick, someone pinch me. Call the Theater for details on their next show: 798-9721.

While you're baking cookies this holiday, make a few extra to drop by at the firehouse, the police station, or the rescue squad. The men and women have been working extra hard in all this snow, and it's wonderful to send them a thank-you.

One little example of how our police officer give back to the community is the "Shop with a Cop" program. On Thursday, December 10, 2009 the Ashland Police Department hosted a holiday party for local children at the Ashland Church of God. With many donations and support from local businesses and citizens, Santa Claus was able to distribute many gifts to the participants at this year’s party. Several local businesses donated pizzas and drinks as well for the event. Community volunteers wrapped these gifts and helped hand them out during this year’s party.The Ashland Police Department extends our sincere gratitude to the local donors and volunteers for their generous donations and hard work in making this year’s event so special for the children in our community.

As we wind down 2009, lets reflect a little bit. Was it a good year? A tough one? A little of both? We'll talk more about it next week, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the passing year. You can email me at ashlandnews@gmail.com, or call me at 310-5320. Are you glad that you're here? You may get tired of me telling you, but you will find no sweeter spot on earth than this town. Go outside on a quiet winter night, find a star to wish on, and ask that you never have to leave. "...Through the years we all will be together if the fates allow, hang a shining star upon the highest bough, and have yourself a merry little Christmas now..."

No comments:

It's a shame we didn't get any snow this winter...

Especially since we're building this new town ski lodge.  I mean, I guess it could potentially bring in tourism dollars, if we ...